Lidocaine is a drug that is widely used as local anesthetic and antiarrhythmic agent.
Lidocaine can be applied directly on the skin surface of the skin inoculated intravenously injected or infiltrated “joint:
- Lidocaine is spread on the skin is used to relieve itching, inflammation of the skin depends orpain burn.
- As an injection under the skin, lidocaine is used in various fields, to induce the little dental surgery (aesthetic and not) usually lidocaine injections .Other local analgesia are made in many areas of medicine,
Lidocaine is injected intravenously • widely in the treatment of heart conditions used (eg. B. ventricular arrhythmias) and in the prevention of cardiovascular events as a “heart attack.
Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics
As aminoamide is lidocaine locally, it is unlike other common analgesics (aminoesteri) and procaine and chloroprocaine. Compared to the latter, lidocaine is much better, fast action and long-term.
On average, the maximum drug concentration in the blood is reached after 20 minutes of administration.
Lidocaine performs its function by the sodium neurons inhibiting voltage dependent channels: prevents the drug to make it worth the pain stimulus, both on the surface of the skin is deep. 50% of lidocaine is metabolized general circulation within 90 to 120 minutes after administration; then the drug is excreted in the kidneys and excreted in urine as metabolites (monoetilglicinxilidide and glicinxilidide).
“Half-life of lidocaine may be extended in the presence of cardiac congestive liver dysfunction or heart failure.
Table of Contents
As mentioned previously, lidocaine is a drug with a broad range of applications. The side of the skin, the drug has proven to be an excellent solution to help – even temporarily – the tingling, burning and pain that accompanies much of the skin inflammation. Lidocaine is a drug often recommended in thetreatment of shingles.
Lidocaine is also indicated for the treatment of jellyfish stings.
The drug can also be distributed to the mucous membranes: Lidocaine is a good therapeutic benefit test to dampen violent combustion vaginal candidiasis, pruritus, anal fissures and hemorrhoids accompaniesvaginal.
In particular, only in this case, lidocaine acts on the symptoms, but the underlying cause to interact in any way.
Lidocaine can be administered transdermally before the end of diagnostic procedures / invasive treatment as a lumbar puncture; in this case, the objective is to reduce the perception of pain during insertion of the lumbar puncture needle.
Injection under the skin / deep
Lidocaine injections are used to numb a specific area of the body, and reduce caused the pain and discomfort of medical procedures such as surgery, the introduction of needles or insertioncatheter.
lidocaine injection under the skin is used in various fields. Let this be seen in detail:
- In dentistry, lidocaine often related to “adrenaline (powerful vasoconstrictor) is at a concentration of 2%, using the combination of lidocaine (2%) + epinephrine (dilution 1: 80,000). There is a preparation effective and safe for an excellent analgesic effect of dental treatment such as fillings, root canals, root, tooth extraction or something.
- In aesthetic medicine lidocaine is injected under the skin to numb the treatment area before administering specific drugs imperfections such as wrinkles, crow’s feet, etc. for the treatment of scars.
- The epidural lidocaine can be injected in this case, the drug is used to treat symptoms, reduce contractions during labor.
Lidocaine is administered intravenously widely used for the treatment of ventricular arrhythmias. In particular, active in the treatment of arrhythmia ingredient is used for acute myocardial infarction, and cardiac catheterization digitalis context. Despite this, it is good that today suggest that routine administration for the prevention of myocardial infarction experts arrhythmia not entirely convincing; therefore, it has not always recommended.
Lidocaine is the prototype of the Class I antiarrhythmic agents considered in greater selectivity: in simple terms, the ability of the active ingredient has analgesic local, but do not have a similar effect of atropine (anticholinergic activity ). In these cases, lidocaine acts directly on the heart cells.
intra-articular injection (lidocaine infiltration)
Often, lidocaine is used in combination with other active ingredients formulated (z. B. corticosteroids) for intra-articular injection. Lidocaine and corticosteroids, different mechanism of action significantly facilitate combined to overcome morbid conditions / painful inflammatory base. One example is the patented product Depo-Medrol + lidocaine: the drug is injected into the soft tissues, because intrasinoviale (thesynovial directly into the liquid) and intralesional for the treatment of synovitis, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Other uses of lidocaine
The drug may be useful used to reduce the terrible ringing in the ears, as well as a temporary measure for tinnitus.
Lidocaine is often used to control seizures.
inhaled as a spray / aerosol, lidocaine can be used as a cough in the treatment of chronic cough.
Lidocaine is in many dosage forms. Below are the most common:
- patch (for topical use)
- gels for topical application, often coupled with soothing substances, such as “Aloe Vera
- Gel / liquid for oral use
- The intravenous injection, which can lead to adrenaline
- intravenous infusion
- The injection under the skin (useful to reduce or limit the movement) as a local anesthetic in combination with adrenaline
- Automatic injection of lidocaine *
- instillation or nasal spray: In this case, lidocaine is usually associated with phenylephrine
- Preparation for inhalation
- the sterile injectable aqueous suspension, optionally in combination with other active ingredients such as corticosteroids
automatic lidocaine injection
On some issues, obviously, irregular heart rhythm, shows that sometimes the special preparation lidocaine is prescribed. The drug, known as Lido Pen is a self automatic device inieizone preloaded, to be used only in an emergency. The drug should be injected into the thigh or the deltoid muscle of the arm, never on the buttocks or near a vein. However, even before inoculating lidocaine, it is recommended to consult a doctor.